How to Manually Upgrade DesktopServer for Windows
This document describes how to upgrade your DesktopServer installation manually. It is important that you follow these directions carefully to preserve existing website content. Failure to follow these directions carefully may result in data loss.
- Follow these steps to export your database. (Please first make sure that your current version of DesktopServer is running and that the mysqld process is present; here is how:Find Existing Apache Web and MySQL Services on Windows.)
- Unzip the Installer zip package and locate the “libs” subfolder and move the “libs” folder to your desktop.
- Copy the db-upgrade.zip file into the newly created libs folder on your desktop
- Using a non-native archive program such as 7-zip unzip the db-upgrade.zip file by right-clicking on it and selecting, “7-zip → Extract Here,” from the context menu
- Delete the db-upgrade.zip file
- Start the Command line by pressing the Windows Start button and typing cmd.exe (followed by the enter/return key) and type the following command (a new folder called db-upgrade will appear on your desktop).
- Stop DesktopServer and backup your existing installation following the directions here: How to Backup Your DesktopServer Installation
- Delete your existing DesktopServer installation by dragging the c:\xampplite folder to the trash bin.
- Drag the xampplite folder from your desktop’s “libs” folder (from step #2) to your root c:\ drive.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to c:\xampplite\ds-plugins
- Right-click on the ds-cli-win.zip file
- Click on 7-zip → Extract Here
- Delete ds-cli-win.zip
- Navigate to c:\xampplite\mysql
- Right-Click on backup-zip
- Click on 7-zip → Extract Here. This will result in a c:\xampplite\mysql\data folder
- Restore your database following these steps:
- Start DesktopServer by right-clicking (ctrl+click) the DesktopServer application icon in your c:\xampplite folder and selecting “Open” from the popup context menu.
- Start DesktopServer with Privileges
- Start the Apache Web and MySQL database services (be sure that the DS-CLI Developer Plugin is activated).
c:\xampplite\php\php.exe %USERPROFILE%\desktop\libs\db-upgrade\dump.php&& move c:\xampplite\tmp\db-upgrade %USERPROFILE%\desktop\
Your websites should now be accessible and you may then quit the Command line application and delete the libs folder from your desktop.