Using WP Backitup to import a Live Website
WP BackItUp is a WordPress plugin that creates a backup archive (zip) of your entire website (database, plugins, themes, uploads, content) with a single click.
- Download the 5 files created by WP Backitup to your computer and uncompress them.
- Download a copy of WordPress(core) and uncompress it. This will create a folder named /wordpress
- In the folder /site-data you will find a file named db-backup.sql, rename it to database.sql and copy it into the /wordpress folder
- Rename the /wp-content-plugins to /plugins and /wordpress/wp-content folder, replacing the existing one
- Rename the /wp-content-themes to /themes and /wordpress/wp-content folder, replacing the existing one>
Select the "
Export, import or share a website." option and click the [ Next > ] button
Select the "
Import an existing WordPress website archive." option and click the [ Next > ] button
Click the [ ... ] to browse and find the archive. Enter the "Site Name"
You can use the default "Site Root" or change it by clicking the [ Browse ] button
*Customize scrubbing options checkbox allows you to review the scrubbing rules and change them if you need too. This option can be skipped in most cases.
Click the [ Next > ] to complete the import and [ Next > ] again to be presented with a link to the website.